luni, aprilie 12, 2010

“Change the numbers, but don’t change the conclusion.” - data faking la nivelul miliardelor de dolari

What I could not get my head around was having to force-fit analysis to a conclusion. In one case, the question I was tasked with solving had a clear and unambiguous answer: By my estimate, the client’s plan of action had a net present discounted value of negative one billion dollars. Even after accounting for some degree of error in my reckoning, I could still be sure that theirs was a losing proposition. But the client did not want analysis that contradicted their own, and my manager told me plainly that it was not our place to question what the client wanted.

In theory, it was their money to lose. If they wanted a consulting report that parroted back their pre-determined conclusion, who was I to complain? I did not have any right to dictate that their money be spent differently.


Povestea unui analist/consultant de la BCG care descrie cum se iau deciziile prin ghicire la nivelul cel mai inalt al economiei. Totul este "din burta".


Tot articolul: http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N18/dubai.html(The Story BCG offerd me $16000 not to tell)

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu